Dogs love to run and play outdoors, but there is one weed they must avoid: foxtails. This invasive weed can cause serious injury to dogs if they ingest it or inhale it. In this blog post, we will discuss the dangers of foxtails and how to protect your dog from them.
Foxtails are a type of grass that grows in many areas of Canada. They can be found in fields, parks, and even your own backyard. Foxtails are dangerous to dogs because they can easily become lodged in their fur or skin. If a foxtail is inhaled, it can cause inflammation and infection in the lungs. If a foxtail is ingested, it can cause stomach or intestinal issues.
Personally, we almost lost a dog due to a foxtail inhalation that ultimately went undetected until it became infected deep inside the nasal cavity, causing problems in other areas of the body. We’ve always worked to avoid them at all costs and always err on the side of caution if we believe one of our dogs came in contact with them.
The best way to protect your dog from foxtails is to avoid areas where they grow. If you are hiking with your dog, stick to trails that are clear of foxtails. When playing in your backyard, make sure to remove any foxtails that may be present. Know what they look like and stay away!
If you think your dog has ingested or inhaled a foxtail, it is important to seek medical attention right away. Foxtails can cause serious health problems, so it is best to err on the side of caution like we do!
By following these simple tips, you can help keep your dog safe from the dangers of foxtails!
Any other questions about foxtails? Send us a message through our contact form and we’ll try to answer them!